The use of profanity in every day speech has continued to grow in use in casual and professional settings. I admit that I have occasionally let a few colorful words fly (see blog of April 8th) but I also work hard to express myself in an appropriate manner in most situations.
During the Strawberry Festival I reported several positive observations about our city professionals including our police bike patrols and the work of the city waste department's miraculous transformation of a littered Saturday night Main Street to a clean street on Sunday morning. Today's blog looks at the other side or lack of professional conduct.
The first incident involves a police office patrolling on foot during the festival. The officer observes a motorcycle traveling too fast for the conditions and yells for it to slow down. The officer added an unnecessary adjective to the phrase by saying slow the #$&*%* down. Now if this happened on an isolated street in the middle of nowhere no one would take offense. Sadly it happened in earshot of several citizens and the story was relayed to me.
The second incident involves workers in the street department. It seems while installing new road signs the installation crew was unhappy with the task and expressed their displeasure with an onslaught of #$%#&^ and %*&@. Again their expressions of displeasure were in ear shot of citizens who cared not to hear the colorful use of our language.
If elected I will speak with the supervisors involved and ask that measures be taken to eliminate the use of $$#%&^@@ language in the work place. In my previous employment in the oil industry, such language could be the grounds for termination. Strong action by supervisors is the most effective way to reduce such unbecoming language.
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment