Thursday, February 25, 2010

Emily Post Alive and Well

Last night I had the most interesting meal at WVWC. I was invited, along with four other community business leaders, to serve as a table host at an etiquette dinner for selected students. The idea for this type experience was spear headed and presented by Aladdin Food Service with the goal to give students an idea of what it might be like to participate in a five course meal during an interview or future job function. I think this is a smashing idea and wish that more students could have attended. The food was delicious and not the usual college bill of fare. I shared my table with Nikki, Ian, Caroline, Aaron and Matt and we had a fun time discussing a wide spectrum of topics. The key for me was having fun while imparting snippets of occasional wisdom.

I am quite sure my Aunt Jeanette was smiling from heaven as I held my own in the manners and etiquette section. Aunt Jeanette and Uncle Aust were strong examples of proper table manners and I learned at an early age that please and thank you are the keys that open any door. The first, last and only lesson had a certain amount of bottom side pain involved along with sitting in the living room corner while everyone else was outside enjoying a BBQ.

As I reflect on last nights experience I can only think that manners and etiquette have not just taken a back seat, but are relegated to the tow behind trailer for so many today. Men do not remove their hats indoors and at the table in restaurants. Seldom do you see a door held open for a female companion or a chair pulled out for seating assistance and the grand daddy of of all guffaws is texting at the table. Can you tell that's one of my pet peeves. Since my fingers are on the keyboard I might just as well throw in the etiquette of meetings that don't start on time. How often have you heard the meeting chairperson say "We will wait 10 minutes to see if anyone shows up late." Phooey!!!! Honor those who arrived on time and begin the meeting as scheduled. And guess what. No cell phones, pages or texting unless you are an emergency service provider. My fingers are still on the keyboard so I'll blast some more lost manner observations - language skills. I'll leave the proliferation of off color and foul language to one statement; find another @#&^*$ adjective. We seem however, to be reverting to a one syllable society when it comes to answering phones. Yo, hey, uh ha, sapin'n, dog, what, yep, etc. I answer my personal and business phone the same way almost every time. It goes like this "Greeting, Name". Real simple. Hello, Scott Preston; Good evening, this is Scott; You have reached Scott Preston, how can I help you. It takes about three seconds, but to me it sounds so much better than "What's up dog!!"

Serve from the left, remove from the right, work your forks from the outside in and take three seconds when you answer the phone.

2 comments:

  1. Just a note about an easy way to remember the proper placement of your bread plate and water glass. When you are looking at your place setting think of looking at the automobile emblem BMW. In other words Bread plate (on right), meal in the middle and Water glass on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except in BMW the B is on the left????

    ReplyDelete